Participants in this program will learn the safe practices of operating a Skid Steer. They will recognize and evaluate the hazards associated with Skid Steers and understand the methods of operating them safely.
This program is divided into a theory portion and practical portion
The Theory portion includes:
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act and the applicable regulations
- Components of a skid steer and their function
- Operating Controls – their use and function
- Safety features and their importance
- Safe Entry and Exit
- How to change attachments safely
- Weight distribution and skid steer loader steering and stability
- The difference between Tipping Load and Rated Operating Capacity
- Safe manoeuvring, travelling and working with an attachment
- Pre-use inspections
We can accommodate up to 20 people in a four hour theory program.
Each participant will be expected to write a test on the theory portion of the program.
There is also a practical portion of this program. Participants will be divided into groups of 4-5. Each group will spend two hours with an instructor applying the theory knowledge to a practical application. Included in this portion is;
- Review of components
- Pre-use inspection
- Maintenance checks
- Driving evaluation
- Proper method of removing, attaching and using attachments
- Safe parking, starting and stopping
Each participant will be evaluated with a practical test.
Successful candidates will receive a wallet sized certificate, laminated indicating that they have completed the program.